Norridgewock was settled in 1773 and incorporated as the 54th town in 1788. The name “Norridgewock” means “smooth water between the rapids or falls” (located in Madison and Skowhegan).
Norridgewock was formerly the site of a celebrated tribe of Abenaki. The tribe and their French missionary friend, Father Sebastien Rasle, were massacred in 1724 by Captain Moulton (of England) and his war party of 168 men. The village was burned but the church bell was hidden and later recovered. It now sits in a cabinet at Bowdoin College. Father Rasle’s strong box, which contains a dictionary of the Indian language and other documents (some relating to France’s war strategies), now presides in the Havard College library.
The Sophie May house on Sophie May Lane was the family home of 19th century children’s authors, Rebecca Clark (pen name Sophie May) and her sister, Sarah Clark (pen name Penn Shirley). Rebecca wrote the “Little Prudy” series and Sarah wrote three series: “Little Miss Weezy”, “Silver Gate”, and “Boy Donald”.
In 1838 the Female Academy was built to educate daughters of prominent citizens. The Norridgewock Historical Society Museum is now located in the building.
The Central Maine Regional Airport (located on the Airport Road) was built during WWII as a respite for military aircraft heading to Europe. It has two 4,000 foot runways.
Benedict Arnold’s army passed through the town in 1775 on their trek to Quebec.
Ashley Wing Memorial Park (located on Martin Stream Road) is the home of some of the tallest white pine trees in the state. Some stand nearly 200 feet tall.